Friday, May 29, 2015

BiFrost: Spell Effects and Flavor for my Organizations

For the past few weeks I've been working on a class quiz for 5e classes which acts similar to how I want the tailor to act in BiFrost. I've been working the alchemy to get it right with HelloQuizzy, but I'm hitting a lot of snags.

On the bright side, it has given me a lot of time to think about the different subclasses and how the differ. This led me down another path, which is the manifestation of powers and the effects they have. I like the idea that there are themes to the spell effects, but that they can differ based on person and on class/subclass. For example, Incarnates would have halos/circlets when they cast their spells and the effects would have similar qualities. An Incarnate of Light would gain a halo when they cast their spells, and any visual effects would be light-based, while an Incarnate of Knowledge would get a halo of runes and letters around their head, and their effects would be similar. 

I like this becaus it adds a little more magic to the world. Lets see if I can come up with a few effects while I'm here. 

Brawler - Auras: Power=White, Shadow=Black, Elemental=Shifts based off last ki power used
Dynamo - Monstrous gets crackles of energy, Wild gets 
Hero - Eldritch Knight looks like mage (Right triangle & Ovals)
Hunter - Change to bestial eyes
Incarnate - Halos (Runes, Fluid, Light, Horn and Leaf, Clouds, Smoke, Chakram)
Juggernaut - Bulging muscles like Dragon Ball Z for berserker, fur/feathers for totemist
Mage - Shapes within circles (Abjuration - Oval, Conj - Pentagram, Divination - Heptagon,
             Ench - Spiral, Evok - Right Triangle, Illu - Equilateral Triangle, Necro - , Trans - Pentagon)
Knight - Small Wings (Light for Devotion, Animal for Light, Smoke for Vengeance)
Naturalist - Land gets spectral plants, rivers, and mountains; Beast gets spectral beasts
Performer - Musical plays: melodious and playful for Lore, grand and aggressive for Commander
Prowler - Arcane trickster looks like mage (Spirals & Equi. Triangles)
Witch - Fey get faeries and bursts of chills and warmth; Infernal get smoke, cinders, and frost; Void get coiling shadows with hints of eyes and mouths. 

I also have the idea that the spellbooks wizards carry are books they pick and only other wizards and tome witches can see what is inside them. Stuff like that, to just give the world a little more flavor. 

Along the same lines, I've been thinking about how the organizations I came up with are great powers, but lack flavor. That is something I need to work on in the future, Mostly, this post is a reminder to me to not let those orgs be boring. 

TTFN

No comments:

Post a Comment